Performance Profiling .NET Applications Using the Visual Studio Profiler (Part 2)

In the first part of this article I discussed how to profile applications using the command line tools for Visual Studio. In this part I’m going to discuss how you can interpret the results from the profiling.

I’ve put together a small sample application that does a few maths calculations and ran the profiling tools in VS2010 against it. Once you have the the .vsp file that the profiler gives you all you need to do is open it in VS and away you go.

The first thing that you will see in VS is the summary report. This looks something like the one shown here.

Importing BlogML into WordPress from Subtext

I used the BlogML importer plugin from http://dillieodigital.net/2010/07/03/blogml-importer to import my BlogML from Subtext. However the output from Subtext included Base64 encoded content so I wrote a little C# application to convert the Base64 decode the content before importing it.

The source code is below, the usual caveats about if it blows up your computer don’t blame me etc. apply.


using System;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Xml.Linq;

namespace UnBase64BlogML
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            XDocument doc = XDocument.Load(@"blogml-b64.xml");
            XNamespace blogML = "http://www.blogml.com/2006/09/BlogML";

            var query = doc.Descendants(blogML + "content")
                .Where(node => (string) node.Attribute("type") == "base64");
            foreach(var item in query)
            {
                string content = Encoding.UTF8.GetString(Convert.FromBase64String(item.Value));

                item.SetValue(content);
            }

            doc.Save(@"blogml.xml");

            Console.WriteLine("Press a key to continue");
            Console.ReadKey(true);
        }
    }
}

Moved blogging engine….again

Ok I bit the bullet and moved to WordPress. I’ve been avoiding it because it’s the main one people use and I like being a little different. In the end though the support for 3rd party publishing apps, the number of plugins and themes etc meant that I’ve done it at last.

All of the posts and comments + RSS feeds etc should have now been moved across but let me know if you notice any problems.